Celebrating more than 80 Years of Skiing and Lifelong Friendships
December 24, 2018, 2018 Vol. XII, #11
Inside this issue…
1. HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING ALL WEEK
2. ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS
3. ATTENTION OLD MEMBERS
4. WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT
5. START THE NEW YEAR WITH A SNAP
6. NEW YEAR’S EVE
1. HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING ALL WEEK
The Clubhouse Grill and the Stag’s Head Lounge will be closed on Christmas day, but will re-open on Wednesday, December 26thfor a full seven days! However, the resort opens at 1 p.m. on Christmas day.
WEDNESDAY 12/26 thru MONDAY 1/1
Clubhouse Grill opens for breakfast at 8:30 a.m. with service until 3 p.m.
Lifts open at 9 a.m.
Caberfae’s Ticket Elf (for Season Pass holders) will be available until 11:15 a.m.
Daily Après Ski Parties in the Stag’s Head Lounge.
2. ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS, would you like the straight skinny on what’s what, and how things work around the clubhouse? How about getting the scoop on how the bar works in the Stag’s Head Lounge? Want to know how to open your locker when your kid lost your key? Maybe you’d like to know when you can park in the club parking lot without getting fly paper stuck on your windshield. These club secrets, and more, will be divulged at a super-secret meeting, the New Member Meet & Greet, Pizza Party on Thursday evening, December 28thin the Clubhouse Grill at 5 p.m. It’s guaranteed that most of the information will be mostly right. The rest will be partly right. On the other hand, the accuracy of any information will be called into question as the evening wears on. You’ll even learn when you can bring your cocktail downstairs without getting the snake-eye.
3. ATTENTION OLD MEMBERS, would you like the straight skinny too? See story above. You’re invited … but you’re not allowed to talk.
4. WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT – Tuesday, Christmas Eve 2018
This has really, really been a great day! I mean, you know, with Santa coming I've been so excited, and then to wake up this morning to about 3" of new snow everywhere! And a change in Christmas gatherings as we host three of my cousins, cousins who have been like sisters and brother to me for many years. Our last few evenings have been filled with some serious laughter, the kind of laughter that reeks of warmth. We didn't even have to resort to obscene quantities of alcohol, just wit, memories, and familiarity. So nice! And I should probably mention, skiing today was fantastic! In this era of weather moderation, what used to be considered a 'sort of powder day', was the best Christmas gift we could have asked for. A moderate crowd, great snow, and huge enthusiasm! Grins, giggles, no time for small talk, run and after run, til my legs decided my stomach wanted breakfast. No worries, no problem, I was content. I am content! And Santa's still coming!
I'm taking a lot of guff here from my 'dearly beloved', so perhaps a little retribution. I occasionally take advantage of this column to write about a fellow human. Today's subject is my cousin, Stacey (Potthoff) Dimmer. I can finally pick on her here because she's officially a club member! After the past few years of paying guest fees, she can now cut her annual ski budget in half due to club dues rather than guest fees. On the other hand, the club loses its annual cash injection. Stacey has been a 'little sister for me and Caberfae skier since she was a wee twirp. Her dad helped mine build our house. A mobile hangs in our living room with three little girls sitting in ski lift chairs. It's been here forever, used to be sort of a wind sock before I 'tightened' up the house. Stacey is one of the little girls. Those who know her know that she has infectious laughter and a seemingly endless effervescence. She has the kindness common to dog lovers. She has a history of skiing and working at Caberfae that goes back to instructing and working brats classes with Stacey Cooper and Jane Allison when Caberfae was sans peaks, and more horizontal than vertical. The three of them left no young man un-turned. The three of them also became beautiful skiers, and die-hard Caberfae citizens. You'll get a chance to meet Stacey at our two new member events. Don't hesitate to introduce yourself, I guarantee you won't regret, nor forget it.
I've been called to the dinner table, actually been threatened if I don't get my butt in gear.
So I'll close.
Be well, be good to each other, and get to Caberfae as soon as you can! See you here!
PS- from me to you: Have the very Merriest of Christmases!!
5. START THE NEW YEAR WITH A SNAP! Norma will be around all Christmas week with a camera. So why don’t you let her take your family snap shop for the picture board? She’ll even shoot you for free … you don’t even have to buy her a drink … she like vodka. Just do it! We’d like to believe you’re one of the Caberfae Ski Club family.
6. NEW YEAR’S EVE is less than a week away! We’re trying something different this year. There’s no fancy dinner. So any time after 5:30 mosey on over the Stag’s Head Lounge and join Waddy at the bar. Here’s the plan. Everyone bring an appetizer to share. The dance floor will be down and Glenn Stout will be setting the tone to ring in the New Year. The rest is up to you.
COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS & SUGGESTIONS
This is your club and we’d like to hear your ideas to continually improve the Caberfae Ski Club for the enjoyment of you and your family. Let us hear your suggestions. Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org If you have a story or an article you’ve written that you’d like to share with club members in the eNewsletter, please email or call the eNewsletter editor.
CLUB CONTACT INFORMATION
Caberfae Ski Club web page: www.caberfaeskiclub.org
Send your favorite photo-moments from the club or the slopes to email@example.com
Club Wi-Fi Password: Check the bulletin board in the hall near the dining room
Caberfae Ticket Agent available Fri, Sat., & Sun. until 11:15 a.m.
Calendar of Events: www.caberfaeskiclub.org/calendar
Dinner Reservation Hotline: firstname.lastname@example.org
I Forgot to Make Dinner Reservation Phone Line: (231) 920-6769 (Sue’s personal cell phone)
General Caberfae Ski Club email address: email@example.com
Caberfae Peaks Resort: www.caberfaepeaks.com
Shane Demek, President
Doug Frye, Immediate Past President
Ron Kimball, First Vice President
Paul Waug, Second Vice President, Social Chairman
Pat Bourassa, board member
Jeff Conradson, board member
Mary Jane Dewey-Canfield, board member
Tac Lee, board member
Robin Potthoff, board member
Lauren Rule, board member
Norma Roelfsema, Club Secretary/Treasurer
David Reiser, Assistant Club Treasurer
Sue Egelus, Club Manager
Jim Neff, Club Webmaster
Historical Committee: Bernie Bovee, Paul Williams
eNewsletter, Pat Goggin, editor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 231-920-8592