CSC eNEWSLETTER -- JANUARY 17, 2017
Celebrating over 75 Years of Skiing and Lifelong Friendships
January 17, 2017 Vol. X, #10
Inside this Issue:
1. NEW MEMBER NIGHT WAS A SUCCESS
2. CLUB REUNION POTLUCK
3. PLAQUES FROM DAYS GONE BY
4. WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT
5. LOOKING AHEAD TO THE WEEKEND AFTER NEXT (1/27)
6. A SECOND RUN THROUGH THE GATES
1. NEW MEMBER NIGHT … appears to have been a rounding success with many new members being introduced to over 60 members while testing their gastronomic fortitude on the questionable skills of the Senior Grill Team. It appears all the new members survived and were swore in and shown the secret knock and handshake. Thank you to all who volunteered to help Sue, the galley crew and the Grill Geezers serve up another historical meal. And speaking of food …
2. CLUB REUNION POTLUCK … the way things used to be. Thursday evening, January 19th Glen and Bonnie Stout invite members, young and older to return to a time honored tradition of the clubhouse potluck. This is a great opportunity for Xers and Yers to see how it was done on Saturday nights back in the good old days when you side-stepped up the hill when the rope tow’s finicky Packard automobile engine ran out of gas in the middle of the afternoon ... or it just got finicky. Bring your favorite crock-pot cuisine to the Clubhouse Grill at 5 p.m. and experience the tastes and smells of how things used to be. Glen Stout may even find a few 78 to spin just to keep it real and add a few tunes. If you can make it, please use the Dinner Reservation Hotline to confirm you attendance DinnerReservations@CaberfaeSkiClub.org or sign up on the bulletin board.
3. PLAQUES FROM DAYS GONE BY - If you’ve passed through the Clubhouse Grill during the last couple of weeks (and who hasn’t?) you would have been hard pressed to miss the plaques on the wall. These crests got their start years ago as groups of club members returned to the club with memories of skiing adventures out west. In short order an idea was born to commemorate these pilgrimages with plaques. Arlene Lemay was tasked with constructing and painting the crests and they were displayed on the outside wall of the round room between the windows. This past spring, as the clubhouse was undergoing preparations for the summer painting project, Jeremy Williams volunteered to champion the task of restoring the plaques to their original glory. When he returned them to the clubhouse in the fall the feeling was that they were “…way too nice to put outdoors again.” Robin Pottoff suggested displaying them in the Clubhouse Grill. Her obedient husband Waddy, recognizing the opportunity to make her vision come true and offered his talents to attach them to the wall. When you see Jeremy, Robin and Waddy … and Arlene, please thank them for their efforts.
4. WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT - Tuesday January 17th, 2017
Hi All- Robin and I have just 'walked' home from a nice 'do' at our neighbors', Glen and Bonnie Stout's, house. As nice an evening as they provided, the highlight was the 'walk' to/from their house. Last night's rain was minimal, but the mid-30s temps have converted our road (as well as all the county and side roads here) into water-glazed, polished ICE! I chose not to ski yesterday, Monday, nor today, so can't comment on ski conditions. But, I can guess that rain didn't do much damage to the hills, but the parking lots are like our road. It’s foggy here now, and the temp is 35. My weather sites show the same as yours- warmish for next few days. Assuming the county sands our roads, the coming weekend should be fine.
Last weekend was fantastic, but Saturday was brutal! Caberfae's continued crowd growth has forced me/us to make sure we're on the lifts early, ski early, then get the hell off the hill whilst still whole. Saturday snow was as good as it gets (other than powder), and I was able to exhaust my legs in the hour+ that I chose to ski. It really was fantastic. In the club, someone showed me an article from Liftopia stating that Caberfae has been recognized as an affordable, desirable place to ski. The crowds will get bigger. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.... Catch 22? Back to Saturday. As expected, the beautiful day drew an enthusiastic group for our 2:30 XC. The track was in good shape, and there were more than usual skiers in the woods. It was a good run. It was just chilly enough to make our warm basement welcome afterward. The warmth plus an a great spread put out by Robin, Julie Chesney, and other ladies in the group, lead to an almost party atmosphere. Our gathering continued later than usual, resulting in some delinquency for the club's one-man-band and the gathering for the annual New Members' Night. A popular event, well attended, and more folks than usual stayed on to go back upstairs to enjoy the evening further. And a good one it was. Keep your eye on the club's calendar for more fun, it looks to be a good season.
It's late now on Tuesday evening. Pat has been kind enough to hold the presses whilst I struggle to give you this measly scribbling. I'll try to find something more interesting next week. Til then, be well, be kind, and take care of each other.
PS- 'In the end,people are persuaded not by what we say, but by what they understand.'-
John C. Maxwell
5. LOOKING AHEAD TO THE WEEKEND AFTER NEXT (1/27)
a. Friday Night Fish Fry is on the hook for Friday evening, January 27th. Dinner will be served promptly at 6 p.m. Adults $12 and kids under 12 $6. RSVPs are a must.
b. Saturday, January 28th there will be a Kids Dance Party in the Round Room complete with Club DJ, Glen Stout.
6. A SECOND RUN THROUGH THE GATES
a. WANT A FREE PARKING PASS? – OFFICIAL CALL FOR BOARD NOMINATION.
For over 70 years the Caberfae Ski Club has run on an engine powered by volunteers. Each year club members elect two new board members to four year terms to oversee the business of running the club. Now, in addition to the prestige and instant respect that you don’t have to earn, the real reason that folks toss their names in the helmet is so they can move directly to the top of the coveted Park Lot List. Oh yeah! Board members are extended the opportunity to purchase a Parking Pass during their term of office. So if you’d like members to call you “Sir” or “Ma’am” or get the super secret combination to the lock on the beer cooler in the Stag’s Head Lounge, check with members of the Nominating Committee: Doug Chesney, email@example.com or Jeff Conradson, firstname.lastname@example.org, about how you too could become a Caberfae Ski Club Board Member. The club needs committed volunteers to keep an eye on today’s activities and with an eye to the future of the club. If you would like to volunteer to serve, please contact either Doug or Jeff.
b. CALLING BARTENDERS
There still bartending opportunities to dish out the drinks in the Stag’s Head lounge. If you’re interested, please e-mail board member Shane Demek email@example.com, or Connie Houk firstname.lastname@example.org and let either of them know what days you would like to volunteer. Please leave a phone number in the e-mail, so that they can give you a polite reminder before your night (just in case something comes up and they need to find a replacement).
Currently Available Dates:
February: 11th, 18th, 25th
March: 4th, 11th, 18th
If possible, please give Shane or Connie a couple of different nights you would be available, in case multiple people want to bartend on the same evening.
Things to Note:
Friday nights are available as long as there is enough interest and a board member will be around to help close.
There will be a small refresher required prior to bartending from a board member the day of, just to re-hash things like prices, how to use the cash register, and closing procedures.
Also, we are asking everyone to make the commitment on the night you are bartending to stay until at the very least 9 p.m., so all those closing down the slopes can still enjoy a nice après ski beverage.
A sign-up sheet will be posted upstairs near the bar after we have filled some of the slots.
c. HEY VERIZON CELLULAR CUSTOMERS - How you likin’ your cell coverage while at the Fae? Is it wacked? Wanna have some fun with Verizon? Try calling their Verizon Network Trouble Line at (800) 922-0204 and tell em' what you think. Maybe you should call every day? After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. It works like a teeter totter … The heavier the pile of Trouble Tickets mounding up on one side - the higher Caberfae becomes on their priority list of Things to Fix. Let’s see if the pile of Trouble Tickets can surpass the number of inches of base. Hey, if they dump all their Trouble Tickets off at Caberfae, maybe Pete and Tim can build another peak?!? I’ll bet they’d name it after them.
COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS & SUGGESTIONS
This is your club and we’d like to hear your ideas to continually improve the Caberfae Ski Club for the enjoyment of you and your family. Let us hear your suggestions. Email us at: CaberfaeSkiClub@CaberfaeSkiClub.org. If you have a story or an article you’ve written that you’d like to share with club members in the eNewsletter, please email or call the eNewsletter editor.
CLUB CONTACT INFORMATION
Caberfae Ski Club web page: www.caberfaeskiclub.org
Send your favorite photo-moments from the club or the slopes to email@example.com
Club Wi-Fi Password: Check the bulletin board at the bottom of the stairs
Caberfae Ticket Agent available Fri, Sat., & Sun. until 11:15 a.m.
Calendar of Events: www.caberfaeskiclub.org/calendar/
Dinner Reservation Hotline: firstname.lastname@example.org
I Forgot to Make Dinner Reservation Phone Line: (231) 920-6769(Sue’s personal cell phone).
General Caberfae Ski Club email address: email@example.com
Caberfae Peaks Resort: www.caberfaepeaks.com
Doug Frye, president, firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Elenbaas, immediate past president,email@example.com
Shane Demek, first vice president, firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul Waug, second vice president, social chairman,email@example.com
Doug Chesney, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Conradson, email@example.com
Mary Jane Dewey-Canfield, board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
Connie Houk, board member, email@example.com
Robin Potthoff, board member, firstname.lastname@example.org
Club Secretary/Treasurer: Norma Roelfsema, email@example.com
Assistant Club Treasurer: David Reiser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Clubhouse Manager: Sue Egelus, email@example.com
Club Webmaster: Jim Neff, firstname.lastname@example.org
Historical Committee: Bernie Bovee, email@example.com and
Paul Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
eNewsletter: Pat Goggin, editor, email@example.com (231) 920-8592