CABERFAE SKI CLUB eNEWSLETTER -- December 20, 2016

Celebrating over 75 Years of Skiing and Lifelong Friendships

December 20, 2016            Vol. X, #6

INSIDE THIS ISSUE

1.  CLUBHOUSE GRILL HOURS DURING CHRISTMAS WEEK

2.  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR NEW YEAR’S EVE BASH!

3.  OTHER THAN SUE, OUR FAVORITE PERSON IS BACK!

4.  OH THANK YOU! A NEW & SIMPLIFIED GUEST POLICY

5.  WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT -

6.  NEW CLUB CALENDAR

7.  eNEWSLETTER BEGINS 10th SEASON

8.  HEY VERIZON CELLULAR CUSTOMERS

1. CLUBHOUSE GRILL HOURS DURING CHRISTMAS WEEK

• December 24th  Grill opens at 9:30 a.m. with full service til 1 p.m.  Barn door will be pulled at 2 p.m.
  • Christmas Day – Clubhouse Grill and the Stag’s Head Lounge will be closed.  Clubhouse will be open … if you remembered your key.  Slopes will be open from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Christmas Day.
  • December 26th Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • December 27th Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • December 28th Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • December 29th Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • December 30th Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • December 31st Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.
  • Dinner served at 7:30.  For reservations DinnerReservations@CaberfaeSkiClub.org:
  • New Year’s Eve Party in the Stag’s Head Lounge (must be 18 or over) from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
  • January 1st Grill opens at 8:30 a.m. with full service til 3 p.m.  The Barn door will be pulled at 4 p.m.

2.  VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR NEW YEAR’S EVE BASH!  If you’re more right-brain and like joining other like minded decorators getting the sparkle ready for a party, or maybe you’re more left-brain and would enjoy setting up the dance floor jigsaw puzzle in the Stag’s Head Lounge.. Either way, the club needs your help.  Check out the signup sheets on the landing.  Many hands make light work.  And heck, getting involved you just might meet someone new.

DO YOU LIKE KIDS?  Yeah, me neither.  But wait!  Would you be willing to volunteer as the Kids Club Leader for one of the three Kids Club nights (one in each month: January, February, and March)?  It might even count towards your Work Bee requirement.  Now it doesn’t sound so bad, does it?  If you’d like to learn more about this opportunity please contact club VP Paul Waug at waugelect@aol.com.  Besides, Caberfae Ski Club kids are pretty cool.

3.  OTHER THAN SUE, OUR FAVORITE PERSON IS BACK!  Back by popular demand, the ever popular Ticketing Elf will join us again each Saturday and Sunday from 8:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. and 9:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. on Friday.  The Elf will be in the club everyday during Christmas week.  I know!  Right?  Pretty cool!  This relatively small, yet really big deal, is one of the club’s most treasured benefits.

4.  OH THANK YOU! A NEW & SIMPLIFIED GUEST POLICY – Ask any five members to explain the club’s Guest Policy and you’ll likely get 15 different answers. New board member Doug Chesney came to the rescue and took the lengthy policy by the corners of the page and, like the Beatle song, “With a Little Help from My Friends” a.k.a. the ski club board, wrestled it down to just five, easy to understand sentences.  Now, if they would just work their magic to shortening the lift lines for club members, we’ll be all set.

NEW GUEST POLICY

All guests (non-members) must sign-in daily, and be accompanied by a member host when in the club. Sign-in sheet is located at the kitchen counter.

Daily guest cost - $15 family, $10 individual, $5 child under 17.

Guest fee will be waived when a member invites a guest into the club only for a meal or evening event. (Guest fees must be paid if the guest uses the facilities for anything other than a meal or evening event.)

5.  WADDY’S NO BAD NEWS REPORT

editor's note: Last week I committed some cyber offense that caused Waddy's Report to vanish like the down of a thistle.  My apologies to Waddy.  Here it is again, I hope ...

Tuesday, Dec. 13th, 2016

Dear Timothy and Aldous- I haven't seen you for a while, so let me catch you up.  Robin and I continue to share Ann Arbor and Caberfae, equally but different.  I'm here, always.  Robin's not.  We feed each other through our favored worlds.  Mine is Caberfae.

And this is what I've seen most recently:

Skiing started last Saturday promptly at 10:00.  Typically, I skied cautiously to see if I still could, and to see if my new knee is up to speed.  It's actually ahead of me!  It's the best I've felt in 10 years!  You can go back!!  But you don't care about that, you want to know about the new lift.  I call it the Spare Chair, but in reality its now my 'go to' lift.  No faster, but higher!  It gives one a completely different perspective of the North Peak area.  We're so used to the terrain and how we move about it, but now access and egress have changed that.  For the nay sayers, I saw NO problem getting to the lift from either Canyon or Irishman/Easy Street.  Getting off the chair you have to pay attention because the world looks different as you approach the top.  Irishman is off to the right, and The Face is a button-hook to the left.  Each requires little or no skating.  The coolest thing is, once on The Face of NP, and into Canyon, you don't notice the lift at all!  The hill seems more wide open.  I'm sure those with negative attitudes will still dig up something to complain about, but you're going to have to dig deep.  Did I mention the chair's really comfortable too!  The Quad took a second place in popularity, but is clearly more of a conduit for those skiing Irishman.  I think everything will evolve (yes, I believe in evolution) as we get more snow, and as management studies traffic patterns and any sore spots.  Getting from the club to the base of NP has been altered.  Most of us have been going out the back door of the locker room for many years.  Now its different.  We have to ski/skate/hike uphill to get around the base of the old Club chair in order to access the path to the base area.  I've only been 'working it' for two days, so jury is still out.  Perhaps with more snow, natural or otherwise, we'll be able to find our old 'straight shot' path.  The other alternative is to go out the front door area of the club, but there's still some skating/hiking to get to where you want to go.  Again, I'm hopeful everything will find its place, and a new improved path will reveal itself, or the old one will.

I'm also pleased to say that my in my opinion, the club's Board and management are working together very nicely, and we're getting 'slicker'.  As the club gets bigger, stronger, better, changes are required to keep us 'on track'.  I think we'll all find the club is up to the task.

It's Tuesday afternoon here now, and it’s getting colder out.  Snow guns are still roaring and there's my favorite storm on the Peaks.  We're supposed to get more lake-effect snow as well, so I'm optimistic that we'll find skiing in the next few weeks to suit us well.

Even XC is off to a good start.  There's enough natural snow on the MacKenzie to make skiing pretty good.  Our groomer has been out once, and I'm sure with the colder temps the track will set-up nicely.  All hail Doug Chesney and Jeff Tayler for volunteering that service.

It's close to dinner time now, guests will arrive soon.  Pressure's on the get a fire started and my vacuuming done.  Dishes come later, its the price I pay to be well attended.  So, I'll close now.  This my maiden letter of the season, and I'm not quite in the groove yet.  I'll have more fun with you in the future.

I hope to see you this weekend, or soon thereafter

Be well, and be kind to one another.

Waddy

PS-  Love all, trust few, do wrong to none.- Wm Shakespeare

6.  NEW CLUB CALENDAR – OK, while there aren’t any cute pictures of snow bunnies riding the Doppelmayr there’s plenty of good information that you won’t want to miss.  Follow this link to a printable version of the all new Club Calendar www.caberfaeskiclub.org/calendar.  Why not print it out and tape it on your refrigerator?  I'm sure your kids will understand.

7.  eNEWSLETTER BEGINS 10th SEASON.  The Caberfae Ski Club eNewsletter made its debut much like a kid on a cafeteria tray racing down old Number One.  Overflowing with the exuberance of youth, void of any direction, and completely oblivious of what may lie ahead.  It was as if the eNewsletter leaped on the tray, cast caution to the wind, and schussed down the hill bounding over moguls and leaving a few sitzmarks along the way.  And fortunately, has yet to hit a tree.  Here’s an excerpt from that very first edition:

Caberfae Ski Club eNewsletter, Vol. I, #1                  December 22, 2007

Welcome back to the Caberfae Ski Club… Where the weather outside is delightful!  And so is the fire inside.

Welcome to this inaugural issue of the Caberfae Ski Club eNewsletter.  You may wish to save this copy; it may be a collector’s item someday.

The purpose of the Caberfae Ski Club eNewsletter is to use the power of the Internet to “push” to you, each week, a snapshot of what’s coming up at the CSC the following weekend.  This will help you plan ahead so you can join the fun.

Not much has changed along the way ... schussing through the years. The goal is still to keep you informed of what's coming up.  That first issue reported on the newly finished locker room (enclosing the back porch) and shared the excitement of NASTAR coming to Caberfae.  A lot of snow has fallen on the peaks since that first eNewsletter.

8.  HEY VERIZON CELLULAR CUSTOMERS - How you likin’ your cell coverage while at the Fae?  Is it pretty crummy?  Wanna have some fun with Verizon?  Call their Verizon Network Trouble Line at (800) 922-0204 and tell em what you think.  Maybe you should call every day?  After all, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  It works like a teeter totter … The heavier the pile of Trouble Tickets mounding up on one side - the higher Caberfae becomes on their priority list of Things to Fix.  Let’s see if the pile of Trouble Tickets can surpass the number of inches of base.  Hey, if they dump all their Trouble Tickets off at Caberfae, maybe Pete and Tim can build another peak?!?  I’ll bet they’d name it after them.

COMMENTS, CONTRIBUTIONS & SUGGESTIONS

This is your club and we’d like to hear your ideas to continually improve the Caberfae Ski Club for the enjoyment of you and your family.  Let us hear your suggestions. Email us at: caberfaeskiclub@caberfaeskiclub.org   If you have a story or an article you’ve written that you’d like to share with club members in the eNewsletter, please email or call the eNewsletter editor.

CLUB CONTACT INFORMATION

Caberfae Ski Club web page: www.caberfaeskiclub.org

Send your favorite photo-moments from the club or the slopes to neffzone@yahoo.com

Club Wi-Fi Password:  Check the bulletin board at the bottom of the stairs

Caberfae Ticket Agent available Fri, Sat., & Sun. until 11:15 a.m.

Calendar of Events: www.caberfaeskiclub.org/calendar/

Dinner Reservation Hotline: dinnerreservations@caberfaeskiclub.org

I Forgot to Make Dinner Reservation Phone Line: (231) 920-6769(Sue’s personal cell phone).

General Caberfae Ski Club email address: caberfaeskiclub@caberfaeskiclub.org

Caberfae Peaks Resort: www.caberfaepeaks.com

Board Members

Doug Frye, president, frye2526@yahoo.com

Steve Elenbaas, immediate past president,steve@elenbaassteel.com

Shane Demek, first vice president, shanedemek@yahoo.com

Paul Waug, second vice president, social chairman,waugelect@aol.com

Doug Chesney, doug.chesney@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Conradson, jeff7714@gmail.com

Mary Jane Dewey-Canfield, board member, mjdc1@yahoo.com

Connie Houk, board member, croppinconnie@yahoo.com

Robin Potthoff, board member, robinpotthoff@gmail.com

Club Secretary/Treasurer: Norma Roelfsema, roelfsen@gmail.com

Assistant Club Treasurer: David Reiser, dhr49601@yahoo.com

Clubhouse Manager: Sue Egelus, seagle@charter.net

Club Webmaster: Jim Neff, neff@neffzone.com

Historical Committee: Bernie Bovee, boveeski2@gmail.com

and Paul Williams, paulskiing@grar.com

eNewsletter: Pat Goggin, editor, enewsletter@caberfaeskiclub.org   (231) 920-8592